Re: [DNSOP] ECDSA woes

"Ralf Weber" <dns@fl1ger.de> Sat, 15 October 2016 15:42 UTC

From: Ralf Weber <dns@fl1ger.de>
To: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:42:05 -0500
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, Ray Bellis <ray@bellis.me.uk>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] ECDSA woes

Moin!

On 15 Oct 2016, at 10:22, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> set up a domain with a algorithm ID nobody will ever implement
> (reserve it if need be), and check that this domain returns as
> unvalidated (as per SHOULD in the RFC).
Geoff Houston did some research here some years ago and just did an
update to his findings. You might want to look at:
	http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2016-10/ecdsa-v2.html

> Put in a MUST in relevant standards that implementation must not treat
> this identifier as anything but "I don't know anything about this" (ie
> don't implement specific tests for this "algorithm" and treat it
> differently from any other algorithm ID that is unknown).
I'm not sure a change in the standards will be possible as if remember
correct some people think that the fallback to insecure is a not a good
thing. So am not sure if we could achieve consensus on that. I think the
current RFC are clear enough and later version of dnsmasq have corrected
the problem.

> These kinds of migration scenarios to newer algorithms MUST be hashed
> out, because otherwise we're never going to be able to deploy new
> algorithms (and per previous experience, it seems we want to change
> them every 5-10 years).
Yes and there is some work in the TLD space. You might want to listen to
Ondreys talk at DNS-OARC:
	https://indico.dns-oarc.net/event/25/session/2/contribution/2

There are always issues rolling out new stuff, the sooner we encounter
and fix them the better. So thanks for finding and pointing it out.

So long
-Ralf