Re: [DNSOP] New draft for ALIAS/ANAME type

"John Levine" <johnl@taugh.com> Fri, 31 March 2017 15:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:33:57 -0000
From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Cc: peter.van.dijk@powerdns.com
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New draft for ALIAS/ANAME type

In article <9232F4F4-772F-48AA-80FB-C990662AFD7A@powerdns.com> you write:
>On 31 Mar 2017, at 1:08, John Levine wrote:
>
>>> If you sign offline, what happens when the A records change?
>>
>> You Lose(tm).  For that matter, you lose even when the A records don't
>> change since the signer only sees the ANAME, not the A or AAAA.
>
>There are PowerDNS ALIAS deployments that signs offline (for some
>stretch of the definition of offline) - every minute. For small zones
>the NOTIFY+XFR overhead is very tolerable, and the public auths do not
>need the private key data.

Sure.  That's what I do, too, but I'd call that doing it on the
provisioning side.

>> so I have to do the mail and DNS.  On my server, the aname-like things
>> can specify what server to query as well as what name, so it
>> automatically follows the A and AAAA records that the web host
>> publishes in their DNS.
>
>You could point your ANAME-aware auth at a specific resolver that has
>stub zones configured for those domains, and then this would work with
>ANAME as well.

I don't see the benefit -- that just adds an extra level of kludge
in the middle.  If this is worth doing at (I think it is) why not
just put it into ANAME?

>And, of course, any auth implementer is free to not implement ANAME if he does
>not like the requirements.

Now we're back to the same issue I raised with BULK.  Everyone now has
to carefully check what features are supported by all of their
secondary servers, as opposed to now where I don't even know or care
what software they use.  Some of us hoped we got over that once DNSSEC
got into the mainstream auth servers.

R's,
John