Re: [DNSOP] [dnsext] CGA-TSIG - new version

Marc Buijsman <Marc.Buijsman@os3.nl> Sun, 16 February 2014 11:12 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:11:58 +0100
From: Marc Buijsman <Marc.Buijsman@os3.nl>
To: Hosnieh Rafiee <ietf@rozanak.com>
Cc: 'Jeroen van der Ham' <vdham@uva.nl>, DNSOP@ietf.org, dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [dnsext] CGA-TSIG - new version

Dear Hosnieh,

First of all, I'm glad I could be of help and to see that a number of my
suggestions have been adopted!

Regarding the size of the length fields, however, I'm still confused by
what you are trying to say. I did not consider the number of bits, I
really considered the number of bytes (octets). If I wanted to encode
the length in bits (and I don't), I would have set the value to 2048.
But I'm dividing by 8 and set the value to 256 instead, which is the
length in *bytes* as you said yourself. The reason why you divide by 8 a
second time is a mystery to me. The outcome would then be the number of
groups of 8 bytes, but I've never seen a length encoding before that
counts such 'octobytes' (which is not a byte, but 8 bytes). So you are
counting 32 octobytes, while I am counting 256 bytes (as usual).

Also, I don't understand what you mean to say by "multiple of 8". If the
encoding would be in bits (and again, it's not) and the data is always a
number of whole bytes, then yes the value would be a multiple of 8. But
we are talking about an encoding in bytes here, which do not necessarily
come in groups of 8 (and is therefore not necessarily a multiple of 8).
I also don't know what checksum fields you mean or how their length is
relevant here, but the IPv4 header checksum field and UDP checksum field
in a regular DNS packet are two bytes each.

With regard to the old signature: how would including more fields in the
digest operation increase the packet size? No matter how many fields you
digest, the resulting signature is always of the same length. And the
fields I was referring to are already part of the packet. In order to be
able to authenticate the new public key, you MUST at least include the
new public key in the digest operation. Otherwise the packet could be
intercepted and the new public key could be replaced without notice.

Kind regards,

Marc Buijsman