Re: [DNSOP] Call for Adoptions: draft-lhotka-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Mon, 22 July 2019 18:12 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Petr Špaček <petr.spacek@nic.cz>, dnsop@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 14:12:40 -0400
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Call for Adoptions: draft-lhotka-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang

Petr Špaček <petr.spacek@nic.cz> writes:

> On 16. 07. 19 10:03, Matthijs Mekking wrote:
>> On 7/16/19 1:49 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

>>> Can you explain this?
>>>
>>> I can understand a forthcoming clarification on the use of DLV
>>> that might make it ill-advised to publish such an RRType, but
>>> it's not obvious that a dictionary of once-used RRTypes in any
>>> particular format is useless (for example in understanding
>>> observed RRTypes in order to track the length of a deprecated
>>> type's tail).
>>>
>>> Are archaic English worlds redacted from dictionaries?
>>  This may be my fault: I had put text in
>> draft-mekking-dnsop-obsolete-dlv that the DLV reference in this
>> draft should be removed.   But you are right, the reference to
>> DLV can stay in draft-lhotka-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang, just
>> like there is a reference to A6.   The status of A6 in this
>> draft is set to obsolete, as it should be. But what should the
>> status of DLV be in this document? This question I guess proves
>> Paul's argument that putting snapshots of IANA registries in an
>> I-D is a bad idea.
>
> Ladislav Lhotka, the primary author of the draft and our YANG
> expert is not reachable till beginning of IETF, so I will try
> reply non-authoritatively to this concern:

Thanks, Petr, I can only second what you wrote
below. Specifically, the idea is *not* to update the RFC after
every change in the IANA registry. As an example, take the
iana-if-type module:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-if-type/iana-if-type.xhtml

Note that the latest revision is 2019-07-16 whereas the revision
that appeared in RFC 7224 is 2014-05-08.

It might be better to free IANA from this additional burden, but
unless we find a better mechanism, I see this as the only only way
how parameters from IANA registries can be used in YANG modules.

Lada