Re: [DNSOP] [dns-operations] dnsop-any-notimp violates the DNS standards

Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org> Fri, 13 March 2015 16:28 UTC

Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 01:28:15 +0900
From: Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [dns-operations] dnsop-any-notimp violates the DNS standards

> Masataka Ohta <mailto:mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
> Saturday, March 14, 2015 1:02 AM
> Randy Bush wrote:
>
>>> What problem are we specifically trying to solve here again?
>> not break things that are working
>
> Yup. Qmail or any software produced by djb adhering the existing
> standards of the Internet.

you say "adhering to ... standards".
i say "depending on corner cases".

ultimately what matters is whatever works. if cloudflare decides to stop
answering QTYPE=ANY then it would take all million or so qmail customers
complaining to cloudflare's NOC to get cloudflare to change its mind. i
don't think that's going to happen, for a number of reasons, one of
which is that the corner case qmail is depending on was a bad idea
originally and has gotten nothing but worse since then. but let's run
the experiment, shall we?

> Paul Vixie wrote:
>
>> everything is broken, depending on whom you ask.
>
> The worst broken thing in DNS is DNSSEC.

thank you for amplifying my point.

> As a person who have been saying DNSSEC has been broken from the
> beginning, after which, as certain amount of operational experiences,
> it was revised several times along ways to fix some (but not all),
> IMHO, broken parts, may I volunteer to fix not ANT but DNSSEC entirely?
>
> Before replying me, remember that you have been saying, from the
> beginning, that DNSSEC was OK if it were properly implemented.

i probably said that fifteen years ago and maybe i said it again ten
years ago. here is me, on record:

> DNSSEC is a colossal flop, but not a mistake. It's an embarrassment,
> but we'd do it all again if we had to. It's late -- it was started
> years before the IPv6 effort but is (believe it if you can) even less
> finished and less deployed than IPv6. It's ugly and complicated and if
> we knew then what we know now we'd've scrapped DNS itself and started
> from scratch just to avoid the compromises we've made. But we didn't
> know then, etc., and what we have to do now is avert our gaze and
> fully deploy this ugly embarrassing thing.
>
> Let me explain.

(http://www.dnssec.net/why-deploy-dnssec)

see also:

(http://www.circleid.com/posts/defense_in_depth_for_dnssec_applications/)

> I may temporally ignore fundamental operational impossibility of
> DNSSEC and try to make it least harmful w.r.t. DDOS.

uh, thanks?

--
Paul Vixie