[DNSOP] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: (with COMMENT)

"Barry Leiba" <barryleiba@computer.org> Wed, 06 January 2016 08:21 UTC

From: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 00:21:14 -0800
Cc: tjw.ietf@gmail.com, dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [DNSOP] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: (with COMMENT)

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis/

COMMENT:

-- Section 5 --

   This requirement is hereby relaxed.  Stub resolvers and recursive
   resolvers MAY elect to send either TCP or UDP queries depending on
   local operational reasons.  TCP MAY be used before sending any UDP
   queries.  If it already has an open TCP connection to the server it
   SHOULD reuse this connection.  In essence, TCP ought to be considered
   a valid alternative transport to UDP, not purely a fallback option.

The "If it already has" in the fourth sentence was clear in the original

5966 text, but doesn't work here: there's no clear antecedent to "it".
Please make it "If the resolver already has".

In the last sentence, I think we should say "not purely a retry option,"

as this isn't really "fallback" in the sense we usually use the term.

-- Section 6.1.1 --

   However it
   is common practice for clients to close the TCP connection after
   sending a single request

In the light of edns-tcp-keepalive, do we really want to say this?  It's

true, but it sounds like a recommendation.  Maybe we might say something

like, "Clients often close the TCP connection after sending a single
request, but see [draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive]." ?