[DNSOP] New draft for helping browsers use the DoH server associated with a resolver

Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org> Fri, 24 August 2018 00:01 UTC

From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org>
To: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 00:01:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Subject: [DNSOP] New draft for helping browsers use the DoH server associated with a resolver

Greetings again. Some of the people in the recent thread about "dynamic discovery of secure resolvers" have expressed an interest in something that was mentioned at the DRIU BoF in Montréal: they want their browser to use a DoH server that is related to the DNS resolver that their OS is already using. I don't think DHCP can help with that problem (I could be wrong), but I do think that resolver operators should be able to tell browsers the DoH resolvers that they would want their customers to be using.

Please see the draft below. If folks like it, I can continue to work on it. Or, if you like the use case but have a better technical solution, that would be great too. I wanted to bring it to this list before taking it to the DOH WG because it really is an operational issue, not all that related to the DoH protocol.

Thoughts?

--Paul Hoffman

Title : Associating a DoH Server with a Resolver