Re: [DNSOP] New draft for helping browsers use the DoH server associated with a resolver

"John Todd" <jtodd@loligo.com> Fri, 24 August 2018 01:29 UTC

From: John Todd <jtodd@loligo.com>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 18:29:31 -0700
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New draft for helping browsers use the DoH server associated with a resolver

Wouldn’t that be simpler to use SRV, and require no new RRTYPE? If a
previously-granted resolver via DHCP was 192.168.1.1, then a lookup and
result of:

  _doh._tcp.1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  86400 IN SRV 10 60 443
dns-doh.example.com.

  …would provide the client with a DOH resolver at
“dhs-doh.example.com” after a subsequent and hopefully final non-DOH
lookup on the name(s). Or multiple DOH resolvers could be returned, if
one wished to use SRV expansion to its full extent.

  I know there are some leakage problems here in certain cases to
upstream resolvers, and there is a serious fundamental problem with the
first-query (bootstrap) trust chain in a practical sense, but the same
issue exists with a new RR type and I suspect will be far longer to
implement a new RR type than to use SRV which already exists. I see the
risks as close to identical.

  “DOH” of course isn’t an official service name, but RFC2782
allows for service names that are local, so maybe there is a task to get
“doh” turned into an official service name but in the meantime it
can work without official nomenclature. It’s entirely possible
“doh” is already on track or listed as a service name and I’ve
missed it, despite the fact that it is really just HTTPS, even though
we’re overloading the service type, as seems to be the case for
[everything]-over-HTTPS.  That seems thin as an objection.

  I’m probably overlooking an obvious reason that this isn’t a use
case for SRV, but it’s been a long day in a different timezone than
I’m used to. Slings and arrows welcome.

JT