Re: [DNSOP] Should root-servers.net be signed

Paul Wouters <paul@xelerance.com> Mon, 08 March 2010 15:27 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:27:29 -0500
From: Paul Wouters <paul@xelerance.com>
To: Joe Abley <jabley@hopcount.ca>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Should root-servers.net be signed

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Joe Abley wrote:

> Our[*] reasoning so far with respect to signing ROOT-SERVERS.NET can I think be paraphrased as follows:
>
> - if we sign ROOT-SERVERS.NET it will trigger large responses (the RRSIGs over the A and AAAA RRSets) which is a potential disadvantage

Is it? Is DNSSEC that bad then? Why did we design it that way?

> - however, since the root zone is signed, validators can already tell when they are talking to a root server that serves bogus information

How does that work without ROOT-SERVERS.NET being signed with a known trust anchor?
How does my validating laptop know that the curent wifi is not spoofing a.ROOT-SERVERS.NET to some local IP?

> - signing ROOT-SERVERS.NET would result in potentially-harmful large responses with no increase in security

If it is harmful, we should abandon DNSSEC?

> I also find Jim's point regarding NET rather compelling. If the NET zone is not signed, then validating responses from a signed ROOT-SERVERS.NET zone would require yet another trust anchor to be manually-configured.
>
> It's hard for me to agree that the aggregate operational complexity involved in those manual trust anchors, and the potential effects of a KSK-roll without synchronised updating of that static configuration, represents a smaller risk than leaving the zone unsigned, at least for now.
>
> If this logic is faulty then I'd love to hear about it.

I agree about the trust anchor issue. Not so much with some of the statements above it.

Paul