[DNSOP] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 03 June 2021 03:07 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, dnsop@ietf.org, benno@NLnetLabs.nl, benno@NLnetLabs.nl
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 20:07:26 -0700
Subject: [DNSOP] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: (with COMMENT)

draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang/

COMMENT:

Like Roman, I applaud the use of XSLT to avoid specifying redundant information
and allow for reasonably automated updates. Some other comments below.

Section 3

   The IANA document "Domain Name System (DNS) Parameters"
   [IANA-DNS-PARAMETERS] contains altogether thirteen registries.  The

I suggest "at the time of this writing" just in case we add or remove
some registries.

Section 4

   Upon publication of this document, the initial revision of the "iana-
   dns-class-rr-type" YANG module SHALL be created by applying the XSLT
   stylesheet from Appendix A to the XML version of
   [IANA-DNS-PARAMETERS].

This is just a random observation from a bystander, but my understanding
is that IANA is gradually moving registries to a database backend, so
that the XML version may in some sense not be the "most authoritative"
version (or the "preferred form for modification" to use the open-source
software jargon).  The XML format mand XSLT are both quite well-defined,
and the database backend might not be, though, so it's not clear that
moving to a procedure to generate YANG directly from the database would
be an advantage over taking a detour via XML.

   "status":  Include only if a class or type registration has been
      deprecated or obsoleted.  In both cases, use the value "obsolete"
      as the argument of the "status" statement.

I don't see any logic in the XSLT that looks for "deprecated", just
"OBSOLETE".  (This may be fine, given that there's not currently
anything listed as deprecated in the live registry...)

Section 5

The XSLT is only run over trusted input, so it is safe to ignore the
risk of any issues due to improper escaping or input validation.
Whether or not we need to note this property in the RFC is not entirely
clear, though.

Appendix A

   This appendix contains an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet [W3C.REC-xslt-19991116]
   that is intended to be used for generating the initial revision of
   the "iana-dns-class-rr-type" YANG module.  This is achieved by

Is this only going to be used for the initial revision, or for updates
as well?

     <variable name="lf">&#xA;</variable>

This seems unused (and instead we have a lot of &#xA; literals).

     contact
       "        Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

The leading spaces seem a little out of place in the rendered output, to
me.

     description
       "This YANG module translates IANA registries 'DNS CLASSes' and
        'Resource Record (RR) TYPEs' to YANG derived types.
        [...]
        This initial version of this YANG module was generated from
        the corresponding IANA registries using a XSLT stylesheet

Though I guess this part might not work well for a non-initial revision.

       "IANA 'Domain Name System (DNS) Parameters' registry
        https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters";</text>
        <text>&#xA;&#xA;</text>

I may be missing something, but why two <text> children of the
<variable>?

       <apply-templates
           select="iana:registry[@id='dns-parameters-2']"/>
       <apply-templates
           select="iana:registry[@id='dns-parameters-4']"/>

Hardcoding the names "dns-parameters-2" and "dns-parameters-4" is in the
class of things that (if I understand correctly) IANA is not always keen
on people doing.  In this case it's probably not a big issue, since the
output of the transformation will be looked at by a human before it's
published, and we can modify the template if needed, but I do wonder if
any identifier more closely aligned to the registry's role is available.