Re: [DNSOP] [dnsext] CGA-TSIG - new version

Marc Buijsman <Marc.Buijsman@os3.nl> Sun, 16 February 2014 13:02 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:01:58 +0100
From: Marc Buijsman <Marc.Buijsman@os3.nl>
To: Hosnieh Rafiee <ietf@rozanak.com>
Cc: 'Jeroen van der Ham' <vdham@uva.nl>, DNSOP@ietf.org, dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [dnsext] CGA-TSIG - new version

Dear Hosnieh,

Let me first react to your first email of today. CGA uses the
RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5 signature algorithm to sign the message. The way I
understand it as explained at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3447#section-8.2.1 is that the length of
the output signature S only depends on the length k of the RSA modulus
n, and not on the length of the input message M. The algorithm
accomplishes this by using a hash function on message M, SHA-1 in case
of CGA. So provided that the RSA key has been determined, it does not
matter how many fields you concatenate and take as input message M
(although there is a maximum depending on the chosen hash function); the
output will always be a signature of length k. The signature field is
variable because the RSA key size is variable; not because the message
is variable.

I was not aware that SEND actually encodes groups of 8 bytes. I thought
you meant that the value set in the length field should be a multiple of
8, but now I see you mean that the length of the data itself should be a
multiple of 8. It is then logical that you might need padding to be able
to make whole 'octobytes'. However, I don't believe that this padding is
needed for the signature operation since the hash function takes a
variable amount of input bytes anyway. You also didn't mention anything
about padding in your draft (nor does the CGA RFC), so I assumed the
encoded length to be in bytes just like the other length-encoding fields
in the TSIG RR. I'm also not sure if you save more space by using 1 byte
for the length-encoding field and additional padding, instead of 2 bytes
for the length-encoding field without padding.

Regarding the old signature, I think you could even leave out the
timestamp from the old signature operation. As long as you sign the new
public key with the old public key (with the old signature as ouput) in
order to authenticate the new public key, it is also possible to
authenticate the timestamp and fudge field provided that they have been
signed with the new public key (as required by TSIG, which recommends a
fudge value of 300 seconds i.e. 5 minutes, a bit more than a few seconds).

Kind regards,

Marc Buijsman