[DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-01.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org Mon, 02 July 2018 19:33 UTC

From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 12:33:00 -0700
Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-01.txt

This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Extended DNS Errors
        Authors         : Warren Kumari
                          Evan Hunt
                          Roy Arends
                          Wes Hardaker
                          David C Lawrence
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2018-07-02

Abstract:
   This document defines an extensible method to return additional
   information about the cause of DNS errors.  The primary use case is
   to extend SERVFAIL to provide additional information about the cause
   of DNS and DNSSEC failures.

   [ Open question: The document currently defines a registry for
   errors.  It has also been suggested that the option also carry human
   readable (text) messages, to allow the server admin to provide
   additional debugging information (e.g: "example.com pointed their NS
   at us.  No idea why...", "We don't provide recursive DNS to
   192.0.2.0.  Please stop asking...", "Have you tried Acme Anvil and
   DNS?  We do DNS right..." (!).  Please let us know if you think text
   is needed, or if a 16bit FCFS registry is expressive enough. ]

   [ Open question: This document discusses extended *errors*, but it
   has been suggested that this could be used to also annotate *non-
   error* messages.  The authors do not think that this is a good idea,
   but could be persuaded otherwise. ]

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error/

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-01