Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-00.txt

Willem Toorop <willem@nlnetlabs.nl> Tue, 18 July 2017 13:19 UTC

To: dnsop@ietf.org
From: Willem Toorop <willem@nlnetlabs.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 15:19:44 +0200
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-00.txt

I support trying to come up with a standards solution for alias names at
the apex.  But....

The dependency on online signing is a little more then just a technical
issue.

Currently the zone owner, the holder of the domain name, is the one
having control over the zone content and as such also the one deciding
who may sign her zone.  She may choose to delegate this to a DNS
operator, or she may decide to sign the zone herself and let the DNS
operator serve the signed zone.

Currently all DNS Resource Records support the "offline" domain-name
holder signed zones mode of DNSSEC.  There is another provisioning
oriented resource record: DNAME.  For DNAME, it is described how
validators can verify that the followed referral matches. The same thing
should be done for ANAME.

It would be a new DNSSEC feature that need to be supported by the DNSSEC
validators.  There has been an earlier instance of the introduction of a
new DNSSEC feature: NSEC3.  The introduction of a DNSSEC compatible
ANAME should be done the same way as how NSEC3 was introduced: introduce
new algorithm numbers that indicate ANAME support.

We currently have 12 DNSSEC algorithms.  The introduction of a new
feature could list these same algorithm from number 17 up to 29, with
the indication that it supports the new DNSSEC features,  ANAME would be
one of them.  NSEC5 another maybe?