Re: [DNSOP] [dbound] [art] not DNAME, was Related Domains By DNS (RDBD) Draft (fwd)

Samuel Weiler <weiler@csail.mit.edu> Thu, 25 July 2019 15:06 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 11:05:51 -0400
From: Samuel Weiler <weiler@csail.mit.edu>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [dbound] [art] not DNAME, was Related Domains By DNS (RDBD) Draft (fwd)

Moving the discussion to DNSOP, as requested in Montreal.

I continue to be concerned that the RDBD draft is:

1) Biting off too much.  As in the thread below, I think DBOUND failed
because it attempted to be all things to all people.

2) Failing to address the full-stack implications.  Some use cases I
heard at the microphone in Montreal involve automated processing and
have security impacts along the stack.  Yet the doc admits:

    It is not a goal of this specification to provide a high-level of
    assurance as to whether or not two domains are definitely related,

Data formats are simple.  Processing rules for them are hard.
Specifying the former without the latter leads to breakage.  Let's
pick one use case and then spec out the logic for satisfying it.

-- Sam