[DNSOP] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-kskroll-sentinel-15

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Thu, 30 August 2018 05:46 UTC

From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-kskroll-sentinel.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 22:46:36 -0700
Subject: [DNSOP] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-kskroll-sentinel-15

Reviewer: Jari Arkko
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-dnsop-kskroll-sentinel-??
Reviewer: Jari Arkko
Review Date: 2018-08-29
IETF LC End Date: 2018-09-06
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

This document was easy to read, and I had no issues to raise. I believe the
test that it describes is useful and important for the DNSSEC operational
processes in the Internet.

I did, however, have one question and one minor issue discussed below, and
several editorial observations.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

The document says:

   If the validating resolver has a forwarding configuration, and uses
   the CD bit on all forwarded queries, then this resolver is acting in
   a manner that is identical to a standalone resolver.

What does "using the CD bit" mean? Do you expect the bit to be set or not set?
Please clarify the language.

The document says:

   nonV:  A non-security-aware DNS resolver will respond with an A or
      AAAA record response for "root-key-sentinel-is-ta", an A record
      response for "root-key-sentinel-not-ta" and an A or AAAA RRset
      response for the name that returns "bogus" validation status.

I do not understand why an old, non-DNSSEC aware resolver would respond in
different ways to the -is-ta and -not-ta queries. But here you say an A record
response is returned for -not-ta but A or AAAA RRset response is returned for
-is-ta. What am I missing?

Nits/editorial comments:

Section 3 table lists "A" as responses, while the text talks about "A or RRset
response". Perhaps this could be aligned to avoid confusion.

Section 4 title is "Sentinel Tests from Hosts with More than One Configured
Resolve". Shouldn't that be "... Resolvers"?

The document did not clearly specify whether the names queried (including the
-is-ta and not-ta label) need to exist in the used domain, or if it is enough
for the domain itself to exist. Perhaps this could be clarified.