Re: [DNSOP] On the call for adoption on Special Use Names (Please! Pretty please, with a cherry on top?!)

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Wed, 21 September 2016 01:01 UTC

To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 11:01:14 +1000
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] On the call for adoption on Special Use Names (Please! Pretty please, with a cherry on top?!)

I tend to agree that it may be impossible to give precise rules
for special names handling.  Below is my overview of the sitution.
6 is my opinion.

1) Today domain names are resolved with a number of protocols (e.g.
DNS, MDNS, TOR, NIS).

2) Some names are meant to be globally visible (*.onion) and some are
ment to be only be locally visible (*.local, *.10.in-addr.arpa) and
for some only the delegated authority knows the desired visibility
level.

3) Sometimes the contents of the name signals which protocol should be
used to resolve the name.  e.g. *.local -> mdns, *.onion -> tor.

4) Rules are sometimes needed to inform the resolution software about
which protocol to use.

5) Rules are sometimes need to handle lookups occuring in the wrong
protocol or the wrong place. e.g. *.onion in the DNS, AS112 servers
to 10.in-addr.arpa and locally served local zones, deliberate
breaking of DNSSEC chains of trust.

6) Names should only be used to identify stuff when you have been
delegated them either explicitly or implicitly (e.g. RFC 1918
implicitly delegates 10.in-addr.arpa to anyone using RFC 1918 space).

7) The default resolution mechanism is the DNS.  There are standard
proceedures for delegating names in the DNS.

8) Sometimes it is necessary to perform non standard delegations that
don't follow the normal proceedures as the requirements of the
delegation don't match the normal state of affairs.  The delegation
of .onion for the use of TOR is a example of such a delegation as
well as the delegation of .local for MDNS.

9) Such delegations by their very nature need to be handled on a case-
by-case basis which needs to be co-ordinated with the delegating
authority that normally handles that part of the namespace.  They
are exceptions to the normal rules.

10) Undelegated use of a name complicates the decision to delegate a
name either using conventional mechanisms or using exception
mechanisms.  So to does concurrent requests for a name especially
a TLD. So to does trade mark issues.