[DNSOP] [Michelle Cotton via RT] [IANA #1168741] Early Review: draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-00

Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz> Wed, 13 May 2020 07:19 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz>
To: DNSOP WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 09:19:06 +0200
Subject: [DNSOP] [Michelle Cotton via RT] [IANA #1168741] Early Review: draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-00

Hi,

IANA did an early review of the draft in $subj. As you can see below, Michelle proposes that the XSLT stylesheet be removed upon publication of the RFC.

I am personally not much in favour of doing so. First, I don't expect that any future changes to the stylesheet will be necessary or even possible: the rules for updating YANG modules (sec. 11 in RFC 7950) effectively block any substantial changes. So, if it ever turned out that the way how the registries are modelled in YANG needs to be change, it would most likely require an entirely new YANG module.

And, more importantly, the XSLT stylesheet is also kind of a formal record of the consensus regarding the mapping of registry data to YANG (there are indeed a few other options how to do it). If a change was necessary (modulo errata), then it is IMO appropriate to run it through the IETF process again.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Lada