Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-muks-dnsop-dns-opportunistic-refresh-00.txt

Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@pletterpet.nl> Tue, 04 July 2017 07:31 UTC

To: dnsop@ietf.org
From: Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@pletterpet.nl>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 09:30:55 +0200
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-muks-dnsop-dns-opportunistic-refresh-00.txt

Hi,

I already said this in private, but will also mention it here: I like
this idea.

Some initial comments:

1. Why actually define a new option for this. Since the option only uses
one bit to request/acknowledge opportunistic refresh, can't we use one
bit from the Z field from the OPT Record TTL Field?

2. The draft says:

  If Client Subnet [RFC7871] is enabled, resource records in the
  cache may be associated with a subnet.  In these cases, the
  resolver MUST ensure that the zone serial number associated with
  such records is obtained from an SOA record associated with the
  identical subnet.

But a SOA record is not associated with a subnet, and most likely will
return with a SCOPE of 0 since the option is not actually used to
generate the response. Typically with Client Subnet only address records
(A, AAAA) will result in a tailored response. Also, an authoritative
name server may generate a different response for QTYPE=AAAA while the
SOA record has not changed.

It would be tricky to make opportunistic refresh work with Client
Subnet. It would definitely require more thought, but I would also be
fine with just specifying it does not work with ECS.

3. Security Considerations

I think this could use some words on the risk that an adversary tries to
make a record stick in the cache for longer than it is allowed, by
spoofing a response with an additional SOA record (this can be stopped
with DNSSEC obviously).

Best regards,
  Matthijs