Re: [DNSOP] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: (with COMMENT)

Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz> Fri, 04 June 2021 07:20 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, dnsop@ietf.org, benno@NLnetLabs.nl, benno@NLnetLabs.nl
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 09:20:01 +0200
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: (with COMMENT)

Hi Roman,

thanks for your comments, please see below.

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> writes:

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you to Valery Smyslov for the SECDIR review.
>
> I applaud the clever use of XSLT to autogenerate and keep the YANG module up to
> date.
>
> ** Section 5.  Recommend refining the security considerations to defer security
> issues to the modules that use import the data types defined in this document.
> Roughly:
>
> OLD
> This documents translates two IANA registries into YANG data types
>    and otherwise introduces no technology or protocol.  Consequently,
>    there are no security issues to be considered for this document.
>
> NEW
>
> This document translates two IANA registries into YANG data types for use by
> other YANG modules.  When imported and used, the resultant module schema will
> have data nodes that can be writable or readable via a network management
> protocol.  Access or modification to such data nodes may be considered
> sensitive in some network environments, and this risk should be evaluated by
> the importing module.

The iana-dns-class-rr-type module only defines data types, so it doesn't contribute any data nodes when imported or used. I suggest to use the following formulation, adopted from RFC 6991:

NEW
  This documents translates two IANA registries into YANG data types and
  otherwise introduces no technology or protocol. The definitions themselves
  have no security impact on the Internet, but their use in concrete YANG
  modules might have. The security considerations spelled out in the YANG
  specification [RFC7950] apply for this document as well.

Is it sufficient?

Thanks, Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka