Re: [DNSOP] partial glue is not enough, I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-glue-is-not-optional-00.txt

Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org> Sat, 04 July 2020 22:58 UTC

From: Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
To: dnsop@ietf.org, John R Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 22:58:39 +0000
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] partial glue is not enough, I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-glue-is-not-optional-00.txt

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 14:50:24 UTC John R Levine wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2020, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > ... but our goal should be to allow smart initiators to avoid
> > retrying with TCP out of reflex. my recommendation of TC=0 is to suppress
> > reflexive TCP retries.
> I wouldn't disagree but it seems to me once again it's a tradeoff between
> performance and correctness.  I'd prefer correctness, particularly since
> it seems that the option to use what's in a truncated referral gets you
> both.

TC=1 will, on several DNS initiators whose architecture i know, automatically
trigger TCP fallback, without regard to what's in the various sections. that
is often a layering constraint in the software, where "get the response" has
the fallback logic, and "look at the response" comes after that's completed.

> > 3. even without TC=1 you will know there's under-zonecut glue you didn't
> > receive, because you saw the NS RR, and the only path to the address RR is
> > through that NS RRset.
>
> Well, maybe.  Even if you got one A record there might be others.

no. truncation is on RRset boundaries. even in a truncated response, RRsets
are never broken up. if you have any A records for a name, you have them all.

> Or if
> you got an AAAA record but no A record and you're on an IPv4 network, you
> can't tell whether there's a lurking A record or not, or vice-versa.
> (See the glue for j.zdnscloud.com in the root.)

that's why my proposal was to only avoid setting TC=1 if some minimal amount
of glue does fit, specifically two RRsets of each address type (AAAA and A).

> If we do it your way, if any NS is in-zone and the lookups fail, you
> *always* need to do a TCP query just to see if if the UDP response left
> something out.

in the statement, "if in-zone and failures then TCP" does not warrant the use
of the word "always" which is either redundant (that's what if/then means) or
misleading (failures aren't the norm). i am ok with having to use TCP when not
all glue fits, and the part that does fit, refers to currently-unreachable
servers. a zone for whom two of its servers, on all of their address types,
are down is going to see serious slowdown due to timeouts. so, already a bad
day well worth avoiding. getting additional TCP fallback is additive not
multiplicative to the badness costs in that non-normal situation.

> R's,
> John
>
> PS: I'm less worried about round-robin DNS, since then it's clearly a
> deliberate decision by the parent to leave some of the answers out.

here, round-robin is an access method used for populating a section, and in
this case the section is additional-data not answer. so, round-robin and
random-robin should behave similarly in the truncation path we're discussing,
where i'm saying the truncation would be better off silent (TC=0).

--
Paul