Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> Tue, 10 June 2008 16:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:26:01 -0400
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
To: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>, David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Gervase Markham wrote:

> Kim Davies wrote:
> > This thread sounds remarkably like deja vu. Indeed, the TLD community was
> > rather upset a few years ago by Mozilla taking unilateral action to
> > introduce a hard-coded white-list of acceptable IDN TLDs without prior
> > consultation.

Hard-coding something that dynamically changes is always a bad idea.
While the notion of having a _dynamically_configured_ and
updateable/changeable list that mozilla uses might be OK, I'd hope that
it can be turned off by the user.

If Firefox is scheduled to ship with this serious flaw, I'd suggest that
maybe you might want to reconsider that schedule, and consider this a
show-stopper bug. Of course, one can always advise against using that
version of Firefox if it is shipped.  And if Mozilla.org insists on that
'flaw/feature', there is always the possibility of some group organizing
a new distribution without that 'flaw/feature'---this ability of change
is indeed a beautiful property of open source software. No one is locked
into what Mozilla.org decides.

> That's unfortunate; but I must say this upset was not communicated to me.

Probably that's because you are using SORBS to filter your email. SORBS
has an unusually high number of false positives, and for example,
falsely claims that that 130.105/16 and 198.3.136/21 are hijacked. You
can find more information about SORBS on http://www.iadl.org/

> That policy of ours should have no effect whatsoever on TLDs with a
> responsible attitude to homographs. Our registration requirements are
> not onerousFrom dnsop-bounces@ietf.org  Tue Jun 10 09:27:31 2008
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Gervase Markham wrote:

> Kim Davies wrote:
> > This thread sounds remarkably like deja vu. Indeed, the TLD community was
> > rather upset a few years ago by Mozilla taking unilateral action to
> > introduce a hard-coded white-list of acceptable IDN TLDs without prior
> > consultation.

Hard-coding something that dynamically changes is always a bad idea.
While the notion of having a _dynamically_configured_ and
updateable/changeable list that mozilla uses might be OK, I'd hope that
it can be turned off by the user.

If Firefox is scheduled to ship with this serious flaw, I'd suggest that
maybe you might want to reconsider that schedule, and consider this a
show-stopper bug. Of course, one can always advise against using that
version of Firefox if it is shipped.  And if Mozilla.org insists on that
'flaw/feature', there is always the possibility of some group organizing
a new distribution without that 'flaw/feature'---this ability of change
is indeed a beautiful property of open source software. No one is locked
into what Mozilla.org decides.

> That's unfortunate; but I must say this upset was not communicated to me.

Probably that's because you are using SORBS to filter your email. SORBS
has an unusually high number of false positives, and for example,
falsely claims that that 130.105/16 and 198.3.136/21 are hijacked. You
can find more information about SORBS on http://www.iadl.org/

> That policy of ours should have no effect whatsoever on TLDs with a
> responsible attitude to homographs. Our registration requirements are
> not onerous.

??? This statement doesn't seem very credible. What authority do you
have to decide what a 'responsible attitude to homegraphs' would be?
Mozilla.org doesn't represent the internet industry nor any government
or governing organization. Why should TLD's think they need to register
with Mozilla.org?  Since when did Mozilla.org take control of the
internet and the TLD responsibilities?  What legitimate governing body
decided what is responsible for TLD homographs? Adding questionable or
dubious blocking capabilities is one thing; Insisting on them by policy
is quite another.

		--Dean

617 344 9000

.