Re: [DNSOP] Working Group Last Call [draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse]

Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@pletterpet.nl> Tue, 04 October 2016 11:35 UTC

To: dnsop@ietf.org
From: Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@pletterpet.nl>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:35:32 +0200
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Working Group Last Call [draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse]

Hi,

On 25-09-16 19:04, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 08:19:17AM -0400,
>  Tim Wicinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 31 lines which said:
>
>> This starts a Working Group Last Call for:
>> 	"Aggressive use of NSEC/NSEC3"
>>       draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse
>
> I like the basic idea and I think the document is good but I would not
> like it to be published as it is (-02).
>
> My biggest concern is that it seems the original idea was to mention
> only the synthesis of _negative_ replies (NXDOMAIN), _positive_
> replies (synthesis from a wildcard) were mentioned for a long time in
> the draft but never fully integrated. Section 7 mentions this
> synthesis of positive answers but, for instance, the abstract, the
> section 1, section 3, the first paragraph of section 5.5, and the
> first paragraph of section 9 do not mention the positive answers, but
> they should (they seem to assume that only negative caching matters).
>
> Either we need to match the document to put the synthesis of negative
> and positive answers on an equal footing, or we should delete the
> synthesis of positive answers from wildcards.

I agree with Stephane here, although I think it can be easily fixed by
saying "Aggressive use of negative caching", since to give out the
positive answers (wildcard responses) aggressively, also applies to the
negative cache. Perhaps in the introduction mention it explicitly.

> Related to this issue is the fact that the proposed updated text for
> RFC 4035 is not the same in section 5.1 and in section 7...
>
> Another concern is section 9 which says "Aggressive use of NSEC /
> NSEC3 resource records without DNSSEC validation may cause security
> problems.  It is highly recommended to apply DNSSEC validation." Not
> only it fails to use RFC 2119 but allowing NXDOMAIN synthesis without
> DNSSEC validation seems dangerous. Why not a MUST instead of the
> current "informal SHOULD"?

+1

Best regards,
   Matthijs