[DNSOP] zone contents digest and DNSSEC stuff

"libor.peltan" <libor.peltan@nic.cz> Tue, 29 September 2020 09:51 UTC

To: dnsop@ietf.org
From: "libor.peltan" <libor.peltan@nic.cz>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:51:08 +0200
Subject: [DNSOP] zone contents digest and DNSSEC stuff

Hi,

I don't fully know the background of this topic, so my question might be
dumb.

Often the zone operators work with both un-signed and signed "versions"
of their zone. The un-signed version usually comes from a registry
system or a database, whereas a "signer" server adds "the DNSSEC stuff",
like DNSKEYs, RRSIGs, NSECs, etc. It's also usually possible to do the
reverse: strip DNSSEC-related records from signed zone, if needed.

I feel like it would be equally useful to maintain a digest of the
un-signed and signed version of the zone, respectively.

Does the calculation of ZONEMD include the DNSSEC-related records? Have
you maybe thought about including two such records, for both cases?

Thanks for comments,

Libor