Re: [dnsoverhttp] Caching model

Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com> Tue, 31 October 2017 06:28 UTC

From: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 02:28:40 -0400
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: "dnsoverhttp@ietf.org" <dnsoverhttp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dnsoverhttp] Caching model

I think the HTTP cache fundamentally plays a role as a shared cache between
multiple clients. Mark draws that picture with a CDN, which is one
possibility. Another is the javascript use case where the client DNS cache
may not exist or even if it does exist the shared cache plays the role of
heirarchical cache.. to whatever extent different first parties can share
http cache entries they can share doh entries.

in the case where this is a straight line, then it makes sense to disable
one of the two client side caches.. note that its common to have a http
cache that also stores a bunch of post-processed stuff linked to the http
cache entry.. firefox has done/does/will do that with a bunch of things
already (raster formats, javascript parsing, wasm ..) and some kind of
parsed dns record that allowed disabling the standalone dns cache would
seem likely.