Re: [dnssd] Next steps for privacy discovery

Daniel Kaiser <daniel.kaiser@uni-konstanz.de> Wed, 07 November 2018 15:57 UTC

From: Daniel Kaiser <daniel.kaiser@uni-konstanz.de>
To: dnssd@ietf.org, bradley@apple.com
Cc: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 16:57:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [dnssd] Next steps for privacy discovery

Summarizing, the differences between our privacy draft and the new
privacy draft are:

(1)  keys derived from shared secrets    vs     keys derived from
asymmetric keys
(2)  hints (using predictable nonces)      vs     trial decryptions
(3)  backwards compatibility                  vs     defining new RRs

My question is: Why do we need another privacy draft?
The new draft also uses our two-stage approach, meaning first
discovering paired peers and then engaging in direct discovery with them.
Issue (1) already came up during past meetings; as soon as we have
consensus, we can go ahead and adapt our draft accordingly.
Regarding issue (2) nobody opposed when we suggested using hints instead
of trial decryptions for performance reasons. We could assess this issue
again.
I also like the idea Bob Bradley pointed out: sending a predictable
nonce in the client PTR query to allow for suppressing unnecessary messages.
This is similar to our direct query method, which also reduces the
number of sent messages (we should discuss this as well).
We should try to get consensus on (3) tomorrow; if defining new RRs is
the preferred way, we could merge that part into our draft.

Further, in past meetings there has been discussion as to whether we
should switch to a one-stage approach supporting a per-app model, or
stick with our two-stage approach.
We could also support both, which I would prefer, modeling the second
stage of the two-stage approach as a service of
a "DNS server app" that is discoverable via a privacy preserving
one-stage solution.

Also, I wanted to ask if the new draft is meant for DNS-SD/mDNS
exclusively or also for DNS-SD/DNS.
I think, the protocol should not be called Bonjour, because Bonjour is
the name of a concrete implementation of DNS-SD/mDNS.

Kind regards,
Daniel Kaiser

--

Dr. Daniel Kaiser