Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 25 September 2017 23:16 UTC

To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, doh@ietf.org, IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 00:16:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

A nit, a question and a comment:

On 26/09/17 00:03, Ted Hardie wrote:
> Adam,
>
> Thanks for summarizing the discussion and its outcomes.  Looking at the
> revised charter, I noticed that it currently says "The use of HTTPS and its
> existing PKI provides integrity and confidentiality, and it also allows the
> transport to interoperate with common HTTPS infrastructure and policy."

Nit: Not sure if it's worth nothing, but the integrity service here
is different from DNSSEC, and clients need to be cognizant of that.
Probably obvious though.

> The choice not to specify a particular version means that there may be more
> than one transport.  You may wish to rephrase this or elide it to reflect
> the decision taken on that point.

This para:

"
While access to DNS-over-HTTPS servers from JavaScript running
in a typical web browser is not the primary use case for this
work, precluding the ability to do so would require additional
preventative design. The Working Group will not engage in such
preventative design.
"

... strikes me as weird, given that it didn't say what is the
"primary" use-case. I think that needs fixing or may cause
confusion later. The question is: did I miss where you said what
was the primary use-case?

The comment: I find this version no better than the last in
terms of saying that the WG needs to consider the scope within
which DNS answers are used. And that was my major issue with
the last iteration, so overall, this version doesn't seem that
much better to me. My suggestion is to add text along these
lines:

"The WG will analyse the security and privacy issues that could
arise from accessing DNS in this manner. For example it'd clearly
be bad if JavaScript from random web sites could poison the OS's
DNS cache (though hopefully no implementation would allow that).
The manner in which that analysis is documented will be decided
by the WG."

Cheers,
S.