[Doh] Maybe moving draft-ietf-doh-resolver-associated-doh to draft-sah-resolver-information

Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org> Wed, 22 May 2019 22:49 UTC

From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org>
To: doh WG <doh@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 22:49:45 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Subject: [Doh] Maybe moving draft-ietf-doh-resolver-associated-doh to draft-sah-resolver-information

Greetings again. For those in the DOH WG who are not also in the DNSOP WG, you may not have seen that Puneet Sood, Roy Arends and I have new drafts that would replace draft-ietf-doh-resolver-associated-doh. During IETF 104, and on this list, people asked why the mechanisms in draft-ietf-doh-resolver-associated-doh were only for DoH. In response, we created draft-sah-resolver-information and draft-sah-resinfo-doh. The former is a general way of asking resolvers for information about them; the latter is the definition of the DoH-related information.

We've used the DNSOP WG mailing list to get input on the drafts, with the hope that the DNSOP WG will adopt the drafts soon so we can move the work from draft-ietf-doh-resolver-associated-doh to the more general solution. We have not yet asked for WG adoption, but will likely do so after people see these new drafts.

Both Google and Mozilla have said here that they look forward to a way to find the DoH server associated with a user's resolver, so we hope that the work can move forward at a reasonable pace. However, if people in this WG think we're doing it wrong by having a general mechanism for querying resolvers, please speak up here.

--Paul Hoffman