Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 20 September 2017 22:54 UTC

To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, ietf@ietf.org
Cc: doh@ietf.org, IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 17:54:09 -0500
Subject: Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

The dichotomy you lay out doesn't make sense because HTTP already has a
well-defined security model. As it stands, HTTPS  implies the use of
trusted public roots, and CAB Forum Baseline Requirements section 9.2.1
forbids the issuance of a cert for IP addresses. One of the things that
is appealing about HTTPS as a substrate (for better or worse) is that it
has a well-defined and proven scalable system for the kind of security
issues you describe below.

The issue with putting discovery in this charter is that it's the wrong
community of interest and expertise for what you propose. I would
imagine that this is the same reason that RFC3315bis is being done in
DHC rather than V6OPS (although -- full disclosure -- that decision is a
bit outside of what I tend to track).

/a