[Doh] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-doh-00-12: (with COMMENT)

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Thu, 28 September 2017 10:06 UTC

From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: doh-chairs@ietf.org, doh@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 03:06:53 -0700
Subject: [Doh] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-doh-00-12: (with COMMENT)

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-doh-00-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-doh/

COMMENT:
Mark Nottingham's email summarized the situation

    It's not a matter of constraining the work; the work isn't proposing to
    operate even remotely in the way that you describe. I think we're just
    having a misunderstanding, because people have multiple use cases in mind
    for this protocol, and properties thereof have been mixed up.

    AIUI those use cases are, roughly:

    1. Configure your browser/OS to use a DOH service for DNS resolution (as
    above) -- this will affect browser/OS state, because it's being used for
    DNS; however, it's not being done from JS.

    2. Call a DOH service from Javascript (for some reason) -- note this is
    just like any other HTTP request; it doesn't affect browser/OS state
    outside of the same origin model. Yes, you can still build a
    browser-in-a-browser and mess with things inside that context, but that's
    already true today.

    3. Future handwavy things like making DNS updates over HTTP -- very
    ill-defined and not important for this discussion

Expressing #1 and #2 in the charter would have helped me. #2 is kind of present
now. What about the addition the notion of "browser and/or OS" in the next
sentence?

The primary focus of this working group is to develop a mechanism that
provides confidentiality and connectivity between DNS Clients and Iterative
Resolvers.