Re: [Doh] DoT and DoH at Cambridge

bert hubert <bert.hubert@powerdns.com> Thu, 06 September 2018 11:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 13:41:52 +0200
From: bert hubert <bert.hubert@powerdns.com>
To: Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc: Erik Kline <ek=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, doh@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Doh] DoT and DoH at Cambridge

Hi,

Thanks for this experiment, I'd been hoping someone would run it! Of
specific interest in terms of CPU sizing is how long the TLS connection
stays open, if and how it resumes the TLS connection later on and perhaps
what algorithms you see in use.

We are attempting to convince millions of user scale deployments to turn
this on but we can't yet give any estimate on CPU load. Knowing how
efficient the actual connections are would be very good.

Can you see?

Fwiw, Firefox appears to eke out only a few DNS connections per TCP/IP
connection before reconnecting (at least on doh.powerdns.org).

	Bert