Re: [Doh] [Ext] Does the HTTP freshness lifetime need to match the TTL?

Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com> Tue, 08 May 2018 11:37 UTC

From: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 13:37:38 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org>, DoH WG <doh@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Doh] [Ext] Does the HTTP freshness lifetime need to match the TTL?

Thanks Mark,

This text reads more fluidly, and that is nice. OTOH it doesn't do much to
resolve the core tension in https://github.com/dohwg/
draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https/issues/153. The current ID uses normative
language for creating http freshness lifetimes from DNS sets.

Comments from you and Martin (and this text suggestion) support changing
this from normative language to advice. The other comments favor the more
deterministic behavior we currently have.

Can you help me understand the argument you are making? Martin primarily
suggests having the DNS code check the TTL before use rather than relying
on the cache to serve fresh responses - but I think that particular point
has met significant pushback largely from the DNS experts in the community.

fwiw I think I agree with the existing normative requirement - a response
ought to be valid at the time of receipt and it is very helpful to
harmonize the concepts of DNS and HTTP valid. This doesn't preclude fancy
stuff like stale-if-error or insane client max-age headers if a client is
motivated.

The existing draft seems to have caused a little bit of confusion by saying
SHOULD match rather than MUST match.. The intent for that was to allow for
http lifetimes less than DNS lifetimes (particularly max-age:0 if you
cannot figure out the DNS lifetime from your HTTP server code). The
subsequent sentence enforced the >= property.

Is there another aspect to the question I'm missing?