Re: [Doh] [Ext] Reviewing Resolver-Associated DOH

Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org> Sat, 16 March 2019 16:04 UTC

From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org>
To: DoH WG <doh@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 16:04:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Subject: Re: [Doh] [Ext] Reviewing Resolver-Associated DOH

On Mar 16, 2019, at 8:51 AM, nusenu <nusenu-lists@riseup.net> wrote:

>> Abstract
>>
>>   Browsers and web applications may want to know if there are one or
>>   more DoH servers associated with the DNS recursive resolver that the
>>   operating system is already using.
> [...]
>> There is a use case for browsers and web applications to want
>
> to make it clear that this discovery mechanism can be used by any application
> (or even the OS itself) and is not limited to "browsers and web applications"
> maybe use something more generic like "Systems and applications may want know
> if there are one or more DoH servers ..."?

Good point. I'll discuss "browser can be almost any application" in the next draft.

On Mar 16, 2019, at 8:51 AM, nusenu <nusenu-lists@riseup.net> wrote:
> Hewitt, Rory wrote:
>> As with all /.well-known/ endpoints, the issue is both
>> standardization and publicization. AIUI, @mnot's original ideal would
>> be to have /.well-known/ be pretty 'generic'. Therefore I'm not a fan
>> of "/doh-servers-associated/" - I'd much rather see "/dns/doh/",
>> which would enable other (future) DNS-related functionality to have a
>> sub-folder within "/.well-known/dns/". If that's not a possibility,
>> what about "/.well-known/dns-doh/"?
>
> +1
>
> I find these suggested .well-known URLs clearer than "doh-servers-associated".

I'm generally against this idea for two reasons:

- No one will see this URL other than software developers and operators watching their logs. They will not be visible to users.

- Layered spaces under a .well-known/ are possible but I don't think they are well-understood.

> Maybe it would be good to have a single matching string used here and in
> the .arpa DNS lookup.

I disagree with this for the same reasons as above.

>> Finally, I think the spec should contain examples of a 'proposed'
>> JSON response and of the format of a TXT RR. Without examples (even
>> where marked as "unofficial proposal"), it's much harder to read by
>> those who didn't write it.
>

> I was also looking for examples of the JSON response and the TXT RR record,
> when reading the I-D, so yes to examples in the text.

Fully agree. There will be an example in the next version of the draft.

--Paul Hoffman