Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 20 September 2017 23:50 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 01:50:31 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, doh@ietf.org, IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

Thanks, Adam

Your first paragraph is looking to me like a stub of the explanation
that i am looking for. Eg: The DoH server MUST include a domain name,
which then allows you to validate the certificate in the same way
against public root as any other domain names, etc. pp.
You still need some resolution from that domain name to IP address which
may not be DNS, but it would not have a security impact anymore. Thats
whats called the resolution and may be out of charter ?
Did this capture the essence ?

How about the issues known from browsers with public roots. Good enough tom
make DoH consistent with the issues your browser already has ?

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---