Re: [Dots] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-28: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 02 May 2019 11:54 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-dots-data-channel@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dots-data-channel@ietf.org>, Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>, "dots-chairs@ietf.org" <dots-chairs@ietf.org>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 11:54:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.245]
Subject: Re: [Dots] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-28: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Re-,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] The motivation is similar to the one for the IPv4 flags:

   Nevertheless,
   the use of 'flags' is problematic since it does not allow to define a
   bitmask.  For example, setting other bits not covered by the 'flags'
   filtering clause in a packet will allow that packet to get through
   (because it won't match the ACE).

The use of bitmask will also ease inter-working witg BGP flowspec.

> I would also quickly like to discuss the use of keep-alives as described in
> Section 3.1: "While the communication to the DOTS server is
>    quiescent, the DOTS client MAY probe the server to ensure it has
>    maintained cryptographic state.  Such probes can also keep alive
>    firewall and/or NAT bindings.  A TLS heartbeat [RFC6520] verifies
>    that the DOTS server still has TLS state by returning a TLS message."
> I understood that multiple requests can and should be send in the same
> connection, however, I would expect that those requests are send basically
> right after each other, such as a look-up and then change of the config. I
> don't see a need to keep up the connection for a long time otherwise.
> Especially any action performed are (other than in the signal channel case)
> not
> time critical. Therefore I would rather recommend to close and reopen
> connections and not recommend to use keep-alives at all.

[Med] The activity of the DOTS client may be used to track/detect stale entries:

   Also, DOTS servers
   may track the inactivity timeout of DOTS clients to detect stale
   entries.

> COMMENT:
>
> Editorial comment: As alias

[Med] The grouping "target" is defined in the data-channel, and reused in the signal channel. The name cannot be reused because it is a key of the aliases in data-channel and a node in the signal-channel.

and migration-scope

[Med] I guess you meant "mitigation-scope". There is no such item in the data channel. Please note that "ietf-data:target" is called in the signal-channel under mitigation-scope.

(in the signal channel