Re: [Dots] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-dots-signal-channel-31: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Tue, 02 July 2019 14:00 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 16:00:30 +0200
Cc: "Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy" <TirumaleswarReddy_Konda@McAfee.com>, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>, "draft-ietf-dots-signal-channel@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dots-signal-channel@ietf.org>, "frank.xialiang@huawei.com" <frank.xialiang@huawei.com>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "dots-chairs@ietf.org" <dots-chairs@ietf.org>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Subject: Re: [Dots] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-dots-signal-channel-31: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Med,

See below.

> On 2. Jul 2019, at 11:38, <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mirja, all,
>
> (removing resolved items).
>
> Please see inline.
>
> Cheers,
> Tiru & Med

The protocols have good reason for a fixed port. E.g. SIP contact information can be guessed/derived from other information but then a known port is needed. Turns need to avoid conflicts with other ports. None of these kind of reason are true for dots, as the IP address needs always to be discovered or configured any in both cases I don’t see a reason why the port number cannot be identified in the same process.

> Having a fixed port allows for minimal setup for DOTS session establishment.

I don’t see configuring an IP more minimal than configuring an IP and a port number.

> Moreover, the fixed port allocation helps with default settings such as on-path firewalls.

This is dangerous because it opens exactly a port you want to protect. It’s also not recommended to use port number to identify network traffic, see also rfc7605 section 6.2.

> The specification does not mandate a discovery mechanism. Furthermore, the server IP address may not be required to be explicitly configured if (1) an anycast address is assigned for DOTS,

I don’t see this draft requesting an assignment of an anycast address. So I guess this anycast address need to be configured as well?

> (2) if the client assumes that its default router is its DOTS server (e.g., LAN scenarios with DOTS gateways on CPEs),

This is also not discussed in this draft…?

> or (3) redirect for which this specification returns only an alternate IP address (but not any alternate port number).

Then you would need to add port information to the redirect.

> Even if a way (e.g., DHCP) is used to configure the IP address, DHCP options are not designed to provision a port number. You may check the list at: https://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-parameters.xhtml

I’m not an expert her but I guess you could even design a new DHCP option that includes a port number.

> If the DDoS attack is targeting the victim's infrastructure, the DNS server may not be reachable or available.
>
> We need to accommodate a variety of target deployment scenarios, hence this request.

Yes, but now of them seem to ned fixed port number to me because you can always find a way to discover the IP and the port in the same step.

If there is a good reason for dots to have a fixed port instead of using dynamic ports, I’m happy to assign one but you didn’t really provide me a reason yet.

Also please note my initial point that use of a fixed port makes it easier to attack the dots service and traffic directly. If you want to open a firewall for dots traffic specifically, it is safer to configure your firewall based on the port used in the specific deployment setup than using a fixed port for all dots services everywhere.

>> This one is a weird MUST now because RFC8085 only gives guidelines:
>>  "DOTS agents MUST follow the data transmission guidelines discussed in
>>   Section 3.1.3 of [RFC8085] and control transmission behavior by not
>>   sending more than one UDP datagram per round-trip time (RTT) to the
>>   peer DOTS agent on average.”
>>
>> I would rather recommend something like
>>  "DOTS agents MUST not
>>   sending more than one UDP datagram per round-trip time (RTT) to the
>>   peer DOTS agent on average following the data transmission guidelines
>> discussed in Section 3.1.3 of [RFC8085].”
>>

> [Med] OK.

Great.

>> And I think the last one (4.4.2.2) also needs a more concrete statement.
>>

> [Med] Can be updated as follows:
>
> OLD:
>   Absent such policy, the frequency of polling the DOTS server to get
>   the mitigation status SHOULD follow the transmission guidelines in
>   Section 3.1.3 of [RFC8085].
>
> NEW:
>   Absent such policy, the frequency of polling the DOTS server to get
>   the mitigation status SHOULD NOT be more than one UDP datagram per RTT
>   as discussed in Section 3.1.3 of [RFC8085].
>
> (Note: SHOULD is used here because of a comment from Alissa related to a similar wording).

Actually, that actually a good point. I think the minimum polling frequency must always be one datagram per RTT. I think no policy should be allowed to have a smaller frequency. What would be the reason to poll more often?

>> answer why
>>>
>>> If the DOTS client domain is subjected to volumetric DDoS attack and the
>> incoming link is saturated, the pong response from the server will not
>> reach the client. DOTS server gets traffic from the client but receives no
>> attack or, if an attack mitigation is in progress, it implies the applied
>> DDoS mitigation actions are not yet effective to handle the DDoS attack
>> volume.
>>
>> Yes, I understand what heartbeat are used for. However, what you described
>> implies that the server should send the ping and client sends the pong.
>> This is fine.
>
> [Med] Choosing the other way around may be problematic because of NAT/FWs. This is why the heartbeats from the server will fly right after the one from the client so that we can use the warm mappings. Having both directions allows to accommodate the scenario described by Tiru.
>
> As you know, RFC4787 mandates the NAT outbound refresh behavior (packets go from the internal side of the NAT to the external side of the NAT to refresh the timer value) but not the NAT inbound refresh behavior.
>
> The text however seems to imply that both server and client
>> test their have connection separately and both send pings and pongs. That
>> doesn’t seem to be need.
>
> [Med] In addition to the clarification above, we have also added a pointer to this part of 8085:
>
> ==
>   A UDP application with a long-lived association between the sender
>   and receiver, ought to be designed so that the sender periodically
>   checks that the receiver still wants ("consents") to receive traffic
>   and need to be designed to stop if there is no explicit confirmation
>   of this [RFC7675].  Applications that require communications in two
>   directions to implement protocol functions (such as reliability or
>   congestion control) will need to independently check both directions
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   of communication, and may have to exchange keep-alive messages to
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   traverse middleboxes (see Section 3.5).
> ==

Yes, you use keep-alive messages here. A ping on one direction and a pong/ack as reply in the direction. I’m not we are maybe talking past each other… I think the following is sufficient

Client ping —————>
            <———— server pong

While what I read from the document is that you do this:

Client ping —————>
            <———— server pong

            <———— server ping
Client pong —————>

If that is not what your are doing you need to clarify this in the document.

If you actually want to have two different ping/pong’s you need to explain me why you need both.

>> I was wrong that DTLS helps you, however rfc7252 (soap) does and specifies
>> message sizes. While for Coap this is a SHOULD, you have a MUST here. I
>> think that is correctly and therefore it’s fine to specify it normatively.
>> Not need to change. Still I recommend to highlight this difference!
>
> [Med] Will add some text to highlight this.

Thanks!

>> think it
>>
>> Sorry, don’t see where text was added. Can you provide a pointer?
>
> [Med] We do have this text, for example:
>
>   The DOTS signal channel can be established between two DOTS agents
>   prior or during an attack.  The DOTS signal channel is initiated by
>   the DOTS client.  The DOTS client can then negotiate, configure, and
>   retrieve the DOTS signal channel session behavior with its DOTS peer
>   (Section 4.5).  Once the signal channel is established, the DOTS
>   agents periodically send heartbeats to keep the channel active
>   (Section 4.7).  At any time, the DOTS client may send a mitigation
>   request message (Section 4.4) to a DOTS server over the active signal
>   channel.  While mitigation is active (because of the higher
>   likelihood of packet loss during a DDoS attack), the DOTS server
>   periodically sends status messages to the client, including basic
>   mitigation feedback details.  Mitigation remains active until the
>   DOTS client explicitly terminates mitigation, or the mitigation
>   lifetime expires.  Also, the DOTS server may rely on the signal
>   channel session loss to trigger mitigation for pre-configured
>   mitigation requests (if any).

Okay thanks for for the pointer. What I think is missing are some sentences about what the client (or server) should do if the keep-alive fails. Try to reconnect directly or just with the next request or whatever. Basically who should reconnect and when?

Mirja