Re: [Dots] Review Comments on draft-boucadair-core-hop-limit

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 12 September 2018 08:19 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, "draft-boucadair-core-hop-limit@ietf.org" <draft-boucadair-core-hop-limit@ietf.org>
CC: 'core' <core@ietf.org>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 08:19:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.4]
Subject: Re: [Dots] Review Comments on draft-boucadair-core-hop-limit

Hi Jim, all,

Thank you for sharing the comments.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] Done in my local copy.

> Section 3 - para 4 - Probably does not matter, but the current algorithm
> wastes one bit.  Check for 0 and then decrement would give one addition
> possible field.  It would also compress down the size of the encoded option
> faster.
>
> Section 3 - I don't know that you only want to have a proxy information
> appearing once.  If it appears multiple times then you can easily spot the
> loop.  No real option one way or the other.

[Med] We had that restrictions for two reasons:
- ease correlation between hop count and the information recorded in the body.
- maintain a reasonable message size.

> Section 3 - Last paragraph - I presume that a border proxy could remove
> rather than re-write the option as well.  This would be esp. true if for
> example it was changing transports.

[Med] Yes, fixed in my local copy.

> Section 4.2 - Someplace there needs to be a discussion on why the values of
> C, U and N
>
> I would have expected the values to be
> - Critical - no

[Med] Agree.

> - Unsafe - no - a proxy which does not understand the option should still
> forward it on.  At worst you will get the same behavior as if the option was
> not included.

[Med] We set it to "Unsafe - yes" for the DOTS case because the proxies are under the control of the same entity and we wanted to have something reliable. I do agree that for the general CoAP case, we can relax that to "Unsafe - no"

> - NoCacheKey - yes - If you get two gets for the same resource with
> different hop counts the proxy should still be able to return the currently
> cached value.

[Med] Will add some text to explain the rationale for setting the C/U/N values. Thanks.

> Section 5 - There is a potential privacy consideration that may need to be
> covered.  The return value is going to provide an eavesdropper a large
> amount of information on the configuration of the network.  Is there value
> to configuring so that the error but not the trace stack is provided?

[Med] Good point. There is still a value in returning the error even without the trace as this allows a peer to know why a request failed. Proxies at boundaries are supposed to generate alarms to administrators.

We can consider adding the following:
- a proxy which is located at the boundary of an administrative domain may be instructed to strip the diagnostic payload or part of it before forwarding 5.06 upstream.