Re: [Dots] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dots-telemetry-01.txt

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 03 February 2020 09:36 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Jon Shallow (supjps-ietf@jpshallow.com)" <supjps-ietf@jpshallow.com>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 09:36:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [Dots] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dots-telemetry-01.txt

Hi all,

FYI, a review from Jon is available at: https://github.com/boucadair/draft-dots-telemetry/raw/master/DOTS%20Telemetry%2001-rev%20Jon-res%20Med.docx

-02 will integrate almost all comments from  Jon. Please find below some points we would like to hear more from the working group:

(1) key value range for telemetry: Jon raised this point "These keys requires 3 bytes - and telemetry information is going to be difficult to fit into a packet.  I appreciate that comprehension-required
Is for numbers less than 0x8000 - perhaps the comprehension-required range is reduced and also has a section higher up so the total of 0x8000 still stands so less bytes can be used here."

   +----------------------+-------+-------+------------+---------------+
   | Parameter Name       | CBOR  | CBOR  | Change     | Specification |
   |                      | Key   | Major | Controller | Document(s)   |
   |                      | Value | Type  |            |               |
   +----------------------+-------+-------+------------+---------------+
   | ietf-dots-signal-cha | 32776 |   5   |    IESG    |   [RFCXXXX]   |
   | nnel:telemetry       |       |       |            |               |

Med: This is a major one. We need to assess the gain, but it is possible in theory to update our assignment policies and reassign, e.g., 128-255 range to be comprehension-optional (specific for telemetry). This would mean that the telemetry spec will be tagged as updating the base signal channel spec. We need more discussion.

(2) server-initiated-telemetry: "Having server-initiated-telemetry under max-config-values, but not min-config-values makes no sense to me.  I think it should be under telemetry-config at the level of current-config and possibly removed from current-config as well."

Med:

A. It is in the max container because setting that value to "false" under that container has a special meaning: the server does not support sending pre-mitigation telemetry. We can put it under min as well but do we have a case where setting it to "true" has a meaning?
B. I do agree that 'server-initiated-telemetry' can be removed from the current configuration because the same functionality is achieved using a GET+Observe but we left it there for the moment as we need to work further the details for subscribing to pre-mitigation from the servers.

(3) "vendor-id is missing from the cbor table":

Med: This was done on purpose to try to optimize the number of CBOR key values + encourage attributes reuse. E.g., We replaced "telemetry-id", "baseline-id", and "vendor-id" with a single "id" (as we only use those for the moment in the message body) but the YANG module includes the meaning of each "id" in the definition clause. We may need to revise this if we conclude that, e.g., "telemetry-id" (tmid) has to be defined as Path-URI.

Cheers,
Med