[Dots] 答复: comments for this document as contributor://答复: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dots-server-discovery-03.txt

"Xialiang (Frank, Network Standard & Patent Dept)" <frank.xialiang@huawei.com> Tue, 25 June 2019 00:30 UTC

From: "Xialiang (Frank, Network Standard & Patent Dept)" <frank.xialiang@huawei.com>
To: "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 00:30:36 +0000
Subject: [Dots] 答复: comments for this document as contributor://答复: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dots-server-discovery-03.txt

发件人: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com [mailto:mohamed.boucadair@orange.com]

[Med] Fixed.

> 2. comments:
>     1) In section 1, I don't see any relation of happy eyeball with
> your proposed dots agent discovery mechanism, it not so necessary to
> mention it;

[Med] This is to warrant that, when multiple addresses are available such as both ipv4 and ipv6, this I-D does not specify how address selection is made. A pointer where such procedure is defined is helpful for the reader.

[Frank]: My point is: in theory, discovery process is ahead of address selection process, they have no overlapping.

>     2) In section 4, " DOTS clients will prefer information received
> from the discovery methods in the order listed. ": in what kind of order?

[Med] The order of appearance in the bullet list.

>     3) For section 5.1.3 and section 5.2.3, there seems to be some
> confusions and conflictions about these points: what is the goal of
> returning more than one instance of OPTION_V6_DOTS if must only use
> the first instance?

[Med] This text is to describe the behavior when the server returns more while the client expects to receive only one. An alternative is to discard such messages, but it is likely that the client won't be configured. This behavior is more tolerant to misbehaving servers.

[Frank]: why not just return one instance of OPTION_V6_DOTS?

 Does one DOTS Reference Identifier Option include one or
> multiple dots-agent-name?

[Med] Only one name is allowed:

   o  dots-agent-name: A fully qualified domain name of the peer DOTS
      agent.

[Frank]: but you have said in draft: " If the DHCP client receives OPTION_V6_DOTS_RI only, but OPTION_V6_DOTS_RI option contains more than one name, as distinguished by the presence of multiple root labels, the DHCP client MUST use only the first name.".

>     4) In section 5.2.1, will figure 5 be more appropriate as figure 3?

[Med] I don't think so. Figure 3 does the job.

[Frank]: no, I mean Figure 3 is better than Figure 5

>     5) For section 6--DNS service resolution , this section does not
> clarify the process and details about how to get DOTS agent IP based
> on the retrieved DOTS agent name?

[Med] This is based on normal S-NAPTR lookups. Which further information you think is missing?

[Frank]: If I understand correctly, there are 2 ways of DNS service resolution, one is by DNS domain name, the other is by DOTS agent name. The section 6 is all about the former, no content about the latter one.

B.R.
Frank

>     6) Section 7 (DNS-SD) is very short, can you clarify briefly what
> is the essential difference between this mechanism and previous DNS
> service resolution mechanism?

[Med] The procedure defined in RFC6763 is followed. This section defines the required information for DOTS context. We don't need to repeat the details that are already covered in 6763.

>     7) Is it possible to list the pro & con, or at least the related
> constraints for each discovery mechanisms at the end of the document?
> I think it's useful for reader in the real implementation.

[Med] Actually, this will depend on the deployment context as discussed in Section 3 rather than a purely technical pro&cons of each method. For example, a CPE which embeds a DOTS client is likely to use the same provisioning method to discover the peer DOTS agent. Such devices are usually using DHCP for such matters. Leveraging DHCP seems natural. Please check section 3.