Re: [Dots] AD review of draft-ietf-dots-telemetry-16

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Tue, 28 December 2021 15:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 07:40:33 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: tirumal reddy <kondtir@gmail.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-dots-telemetry.all@ietf.org, dots@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dots] AD review of draft-ietf-dots-telemetry-16

Hi Tiru,

Thanks for these (and thanks Med as well for the additional follow-up; I
don't think I have any replies to that part).
A few comments inline...

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 12:59:02PM +0530, tirumal reddy wrote:
> [...]
> > % uses up to three percentile values, plus the overall peak, to
> > characterize
> > % traffic distributions.  Which percentile thresholds are used for these
> > % "low", "medium", and "high" percentile values is configurable (with
> > % suitable defaults).
> >

> Looks good, we will update the draft.
>

> > It seems like we are setting up somewhat conflicting goals between the
> > overall desire for compact signal-channel messages and our guidance to
> > "include in any request to update information related to [a thing] the
> > information of other [like things] (already communicated using a lower
> > ['tsid'/'tmid'] value" that results in larger individual messages (albeit
> > fewer of them).  Do we want to make some statement about how this guidance
> > to coalesce can be ignored if needed to make individual signal-channel
> > messages fit in a single packet?  (Hmm, I guess we do have a note about
> > "assumes that all link information can fit in one single message" at
> > least for the 'tsid'/link case, but the text from that note only appears
> > once.)
> >
> > My editorial suggestions in
> > https://github.com/boucadair/draft-dots-telemetry/pull/9 included some
> > edits
> > relating to whether a given target is "susceptible to" vs "subject to" (or
> > even "actively being subjected to") different types of attacks.  Med has
> > diligently already merged that PR while I was sick, so I mostly assume that
> > these already got reviewed for correctness.  Still, I want to call out that
> > there is a difference and I was not always 100% sure that I picked the
> > right
> > one for each case.
> >
> > It looks like we have to use backslash continuation markers for several of
> > the CoAP request target resources in the examples; do we want to reference
> > RFC 8792 folding and use its specific note text about line wrapping?
> >
> > There are a few places where we say something like "the DOTS client MUST
> > auto-scale so that the appropriate unit is used".  (1) We don't
> > specifically
> > say what the goal of this automatic behavior is (I guess, use the "largest
> > unit" that gives a value greater than one?), and (2) it seems that we are
> > in
> > part relying on this behavior to ensure that the client only specifies one
> > measure in a given unit class.  That is, I didn't see anything else that
> > would prevent a client from sending (say) both Mbps and Gbps values, that
> > could of course be in conflict with each other -- if there's a potential
> > for
> > conflict we'd need to say how to resolve the conflict.
> >
> > Relatedly, there seems to *also* be potential for conflict in that we allow
> > both bit/second and Byte/second as unit-classes.  What is to happen if I
> > say
> > that something is both 2 bit/second and 2 Byte/second?

Med's follow-up implies that we are to just treat that as "invalid
parameters".  I'd prefer to be more explicit about that, e.g., with a
statement like "at most one of the bit/second and Byte/second unit-class
entries can be present; if such conflicting values are received the
combination is treated as specifying an illegal parameter and rejected with
4.00 (Bad Request)".

> > We have a lot of examples that use the same 'cuid' of
> > dz6pHjaADkaFTbjr0JGBpw, which is fine and representative of normal
> > operation.  Do we want to curate the 'tsid' and 'tmid' values used by that
> > client?  I see some reuse, which I think is not prohibited (at least for
> > 'tsid'), but may merit checking, and the values are not monotonically
> > increasing throughout the course of the document, which may or may not be
> > desirable.

Did you have any thoughts on this part?

> [...]
> >        amplification attacks such as NTP (Network Time Protocol), DNS
> >        (Domain Name System), SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol),
> >        or SSDP (Simple Service Discovery Protocol).
> >
> > Is https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4732#section-3.1 still
> > current enough to make a useful reference for amplification attacks?
> >
> >                                           Nevertheless, when DOTS
> >    telemetry attributes are available to a DOTS agent, and absent any
> >    policy, it can signal the attributes in order to optimize the overall
> >    mitigation service provisioned using DOTS.
> >
> > I'm not sure what type of policy we have in mind, here.
> >
> > Section 2
> >
> >    The reader should be familiar with the terms defined in [RFC8612].
> >
> > It looks like RFC 8612 doesn't define "idle time" and "attack time", so
> > we may want to pull in a couple more documents as required reading or
> > define
> > them ourselves.
> >

> Sure, we will elaborate these terms with an example.
>

> > Section 3.1
> >
> >    If the DOTS server's mitigation resources have the capabilities to
> >    facilitate the DOTS telemetry, the DOTS server adapts its protection
> >    strategy and activates the required countermeasures immediately
> >    (automation enabled) for the sake of optimized attack mitigation
> >    decisions and actions.
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure I understand this part.  It seems to be talking
> > about telemetry between the DOTS server and the associated mitigation
> > resources, but the previous discussion has been about telemetry between
> > DOTS client and DOTS server (and I do not think the mitigation resources
> > associated with the DOTS server have been said to be DOTS clients in any
> > of the previous DOTS work).
> >
> > Section 3.2
> >
> >    DOTS telemetry can also be used to tune the DDoS mitigators with the
> >    correct state of an attack.  During the last few years, DDoS attack
> >
> > (nit) I don't think "with" is the right verb -- "tune with <X>" implies
> > that X is used as a tool to effectuate the tuning, but I think what's
> > going on here is more like using the telemetry data as an input for
> > determining what values to use for the tuning parameters available on
> > the mitigation resources.
> >

> Fixed.
>

> >    Mitigation of attacks without having certain knowledge of normal
> >    traffic can be inaccurate at best.  This is especially true for
> >    recursive signaling (see Section 3.2.3 in [I-D.ietf-dots-use-cases]).
> >
> > RFC 8903 makes no mention of "recursive", "recursion", or any
> > hierarchical mitigation scenario (at least in my quick search).   Even
> > the linked draft version (-25) doesn't have a section 3.2.3.  I do
> > remember reading about this type of recursive or hierarchical scenario
> > somwhere, so I think we just need to locate the right reference to put
> > here...I'm just not sure what reference that is, offhand.
> >

> Good catch, recursive signaling is discussed in RFC8811.

Ah, and that's where the section reference points to.  I probably should
have figured that out on my own, but thanks for fixing it regardless.

> >    In addition, the highly diverse types of use cases where DOTS clients
> >    are integrated also emphasize the need for knowledge of each DOTS
> >    client domain behavior.  Consequently, common global thresholds for
> >    attack detection practically cannot be realized.  [...]
> >
> > (editorial?) When we say "the highly diverse types of use cases where
> > DOTS clients are integrated" that's essentially an unsupported claim,
> > but the way it's written we are presupposing that claim to be true
> > without directly stating it as an observation or assumption.  I think we
> > might be better served by starting off with a declarative statement like
> > "DOTS clients can be integrated in a highly diverse set of scenarios and
> > use cases", and then moving on from that now-explicit assumption/fact to
> > conclude that any single global threshold will mischaracterize the
> > traffic for some of those diverse DOTS clients.
> >
> > Section 4.3
> >
> >    DOTS clients can also use CoAP Block1 Option in a PUT request (see
> >    Section 2.5 of [RFC7959]) to initiate large transfers, but these
> >    Block1 transfers will fail if the inbound "pipe" is running full, so
> >    consideration needs to be made to try to fit this PUT into a single
> >    transfer, or to separate out the PUT into several discrete PUTs where
> >    each of them fits into a single packet.
> >
> > If I understand/recall correctly, the Block1 transfer is expected to
> > fail only in a statistical sense, since the client can't send more
> > blocks until it gets the positive reply from the server to continue to
> > the next block (on a block-by-block basis), and that reply from the
> > server is competing with the attack traffic for the inbound "pipe" and
> > likely to fail for at least one of the blocks.  I think we should
> > probably reword slightly to say only "expected to fail" or "likely
> > fail", since there is some small chance of success; we may also want to
> > give a brief reminder about why it is expected to fail (e.g., "the
> > transfer requires a message from the server for each block, which would
> > likely be lost in the incoming flood").
> >

> Thanks, we will fix the text.
>

> > Section 6
> >
> >    Telemetry setup configuration is bound to a DOTS client domain.  DOTS
> >    servers MUST NOT expect DOTS clients to send regular requests to
> >    refresh the telemetry setup configuration.  Any available telemetry
> >    setup configuration has a validity timeout of the DOTS association
> >    with a DOTS client domain.  [...]
> >
> > The term "DOTS association" does not seem to have been used previously
> > (in RFC 9132 we discuss the "DOTS session" heavily, though).  Also, I

Are we planning to keep the "DOTS association" phrasing?

> > don't remember any previous requirement to keep state on the server for
> > the duration of anything scoped to the entire client *domain*, just
> > individual DOTS sessions.  We do mention detecting conflicts/overlapping
> > requests within the scope of a client domain, in RFC 9132, but as far as
> > I can tell that only holds when all the DOTS sessions involved in the
> > conflict are still active.
> >
> > Perhaps related, this discussion (at least so far) is not clear to me
> > about what level of coordination/consistency is expected between clients
> > in the same domain.  I believe that stock DOTS works fine with no such
> > coordination amongst clients within a domain, so if we are introducing such
> > a requirement we should say prominently that it's a change.
> >

> Yes, telemetry configuration is not specific to the client. For example,
> the pipe capacity is specific to the site.

So what happens if there are two clients in a site and they are reporting
different values for pipe-capacity?

I think I'm just generally unsure what the expected division of work is
between multiple clients in a domain, so my questions involve a lot of
speculating and I don't have a good suggestion for changes to the text yet.

> > Section 6.1.1
> >
> >    Upon receipt of such request, and assuming no error is encountered by
> >    processing the request, the DOTS server replies with a 2.05 (Content)
> >    response that conveys the current and telemetry parameters acceptable
> >    by the DOTS server.  [...]
> >

> NEW:
>
> Upon receipt of such request, and assuming no error is encountered by
>
> processing the request, the DOTS server replies with a 2.05 (Content)
>
> response that conveys the telemetry parameters acceptable by the DOTS
> server
>
> and the current baseline information maintained by the DOTS server.
>

> > (editorial) Something seems off, here (around "current and telemetry
> > parameters acceptable").  Is it returning current configuration, acceptable
> > parameter values, or some combination thereof?
> >
> >           |  |     +-- query-type*            query-type
> >
> > Since this is a leaf-list of supported query types, should the list name
> > include the word "supported" or similar?
> >
> > Section 6.1.2
> >
> >    The PUT request with a higher numeric 'tsid' value overrides the DOTS
> >    telemetry configuration data installed by a PUT request with a lower
> >    numeric 'tsid' value.  To avoid maintaining a long list of 'tsid'
> >    requests for requests carrying telemetry configuration data from a
> >    DOTS client, the lower numeric 'tsid' MUST be automatically deleted
> >    and no longer be available at the DOTS server.
> >
> > The way this is phrased with "the lower" and "higher" (vs "highest")
> > assumes
> > or implies that there is only one "lower" 'tsid' value, perhaps leaving
> > some
> > ambiguity if there is actually more than one.  We might make a statement
> > about how there is only at most one active 'tsid' per 'cuid'+'cdid' at a
> > time other than during a config change (if that's the intent), or
> > alternatively to qualify that the requirement to remove is only incurred in
> > the event of a conflict (as is done for other types of config, later).
> >

> We can have multiple tsids for the same client for pipe/baseline
> information. This is why we have:

Ok.  Should we say something like "when telemetry configuration data is
received that has overlapping scope with existing telemetry configuration,
the PUT request with higher numeric 'tsid' value [...]"?

The rest of this looks good; thanks again for all the updates.

-Ben