Re: Negotiated noncompliance

Charles Lindsey <chl@clw.cs.man.ac.uk> Thu, 24 August 2000 02:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:17:18 +0100
From: Charles Lindsey <chl@clw.cs.man.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Negotiated noncompliance
To: drums@cs.utk.edu

	On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:09:36 -0400
	Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> said...

> so here's another attempt at concrete wording

Yes, I think that is better, but a bit verbose.

> An implementation which receives protocol which is not permitted
> by the specification SHOULD (if it is a client) abort the attempt
> to send the message and (if it is a server) reject the command
> with an appropriate status code (rather than assume that the
> non-complaint server will deliver the message).  However, it is
> recognized that non-complaint implementations are sometimes
> widely deployed, and that there is occasionally a compelling
> operational need for a client or a server to cope with
> non-complaint peers until such time as the peers can be fixed.

That has got rid of that horrid term "negotiated noncompliance".

> An SMTP implementation MAY be configurable to deviate from the
> standard in order to meet operational requirements to cope with
> specific non-compliant behavior that is believed to be
> well-understood, subject to the following constraints:

But I think the most important change you have made is that word "MAY".
Any solution to this problem needs to involve a "MAY"
   (a) because that makes its status absolutely clear
   (b) because "MAY" has a slightly discouraging feel to it - sort of
   "well some implementations may do it that way for whatever reason,
   but noway is it to be regarded as the normal thing, and 'proper'
   implementations probably won't".

Email:     chl@clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5