Re: Negotiated noncompliance

Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> Thu, 17 August 2000 08:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:32:37 -0700
From: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
To: John Gardiner Myers <jgmyers@netscape.com>
CC: drums@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Re: Negotiated noncompliance

I would like to see discussion open as well.  And since I'm number 4 on
the list as far as I can tell (John, Keith, Paul, me), I'm gonna open it
right here.

I agree with the sentiment behind the wording.  May I propose an
alternative, to be inserted in or around section 6.3, as the editor sees
fit?

--
This standard takes a stricter tone than its predecessor.  It does so
with the experience of nearly twenty years of odd interoperability

If one implementation in an SMTP conversation demonstrates its failure
to comply with this standard, the other implementation MAY vary from
this standard if its developer believes it has sufficient knowledge as
to the intent of the other side.  However, it does risk misinterpreting
the intent of the other implementation, which may lead to altered or
lost messages, protocol deadlocks, or other failures.  Thus great care
must be taken in such circumstances.
--

This is not a matter of "negotiated noncompliance" but more a matter of
dealing with an implementation's failure to comply with the words in the

--
Eliot Lear
lear@cisco.com