Re: Negotiated noncompliance

Graham Klyne <gk-lists@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 30 August 2000 11:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:54:18 +0100
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
From: Graham Klyne <gk-lists@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: Negotiated noncompliance
Cc: lear@cisco.com, John Gardiner Myers <jgmyers@netscape.com>, drums@cs.utk.edu

At 09:19 AM 8/17/00 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
>Eliot's text is a lot closer to what I think.
>
>However, using MAY may be too strong - it implies that behavior which
>an SMTP engages in to accomodate a broken peer is within the scope of
>the standard.    It might be better to say that if an implementation
>deviates from the SMTP spec in an attempt to accomodate another
>implementation which deviates from the SMTP spec, such behavior is
>outside of the scope of the standard.  ...

Yes!  While I appreciate the motivation for the texts offered, I think we
want to try and avoid expending too many words on describing what the
standard is not.  So, slightly re-working Keith's text might yield the
following:

An implementation may deviate from this specification in an attempt to
interwork with another non-conformant implementation, but any such behavior
is outside of the scope of the standard.

[Note: lower case "may".]

#g