Procedures for Moving Forward

DRUMS WG Chair <chris.newman@innosoft.com> Thu, 27 July 2000 00:36 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:35:22 -0700
From: DRUMS WG Chair <chris.newman@innosoft.com>
To: Detailed Revision/Update of Message Standards <drums@cs.utk.edu>
cc: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Subject: Procedures for Moving Forward

Since 23 individuals have responded to the WG last call on draft 12 of the
SMTP document, it is clear we lack WG rough concensus.

This WG is way late, and both John and I are busy people.  It is clear that
I have done a poor job of tracking issues recently, and I don't have the
time to maintain a quality web page on issues the way I used to.  So I'm
going to introduce some new procedural rules designed to help track issues
and speed up progress.  Unless you really want this working group to
continue for a few more years, follow these rules:

(1) Do not post to this list unless one of the following criteria is met:

(1a) You are raising a single issue of concern with SMTP draft 12, include
specific text for a proposed change, and use a new subject line descriptive
of the issue.

(1b) You are expressing support for a post of type (1a), and preserve the
subject line (with Re: prefix).

(1c) The WG Chair has explicitly declared an issue open for debate, and you
preserve the subject line (with Re: prefix).

(1d) The WG Chair reserves the right to post procedural comments at any
time.  If you have issue with WG Chair procedures, send email to the WG
chair privately.

(2) The WG Chair will not declare any issue open unless 4 people express
support for it.

(3) Posts which reference individuals in any way that could be construed as
impolite will be ignored.  (As WG Chair, I will point out new issue posts
which meet this criteria as time permits).

(4) Posts which raise multiple issues will be ignored.  (As WG Chair, I
will point out new issue posts which meet this criteria as time permits).

(5) Non-technical issues are out of scope because we are running too late.
You may send minor editoral comments directly to the document editor, and
the document editor will apply them at his discretion.

		- DRUMS WG Chair