Re: [dsfjdssdfsd] Should secure RNGs be a MUST?

Dan Brown <dbrown@certicom.com> Tue, 11 March 2014 19:33 UTC

From: Dan Brown <dbrown@certicom.com>
To: "'akr@akr.io'" <akr@akr.io>, "'dsfjdssdfsd@ietf.org'" <dsfjdssdfsd@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 19:32:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.65.160.249]
Subject: Re: [dsfjdssdfsd] Should secure RNGs be a MUST?

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for your input.

By the way, I believe current specs from ANSI X9F1 and NIST (in SP 800-56A
...) have taken the view that keys MUST be generated with a secure RNG, and
have gone further to specify various details of the RNG such as a DRBG
(PRNG) mechanism that MUST be one of three or four mechanisms, and further
the seeds for the DRBG must adhere to various requirements.

I do not disagree with these requirements, from a security perspective, but
I guess I was asking whether they are in scope, or priorities, of IETF.
Maybe, IETF places such a high priority on connectivity that security is
just a close second.

Some IETF docs refer to ECDSA, often via X9.62-2005, which, as already
noted, requires secure RNGs, namely one of the ANSI X9.82 RNGs, or any
future ANSI-approved RNGs.  So, in that regard, the IETF docs would already
inherit a MUST for secure RNGs, including the DRBG mechanisms and so on.
(Other crypto algorithms, including IETF re-specified algorithms, may not
have these ANSI/NIST requirements, I have not checked yet.)

If so, then maybe this list should discuss whether these ANSI/NIST
requirements are necessary and/or sufficient for IETF, at least in the case
of ECDSA.

Best regards,

Dan

Alyssa
> Rowan
> Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:27 PM
> To: dsfjdssdfsd@ietf.org
> Subject: Re: [dsfjdssdfsd] Should secure RNGs be a MUST?

> On 11/03/2014 17:08, Dan Brown wrote:
>
> > So, I am not totally sure about the question of whether secure RNGs
> > should be a MUST.  I wonder what others think.
>
> Given this list exists, I'd say yes: going forward, they MUST be. <g>
>
> Regarding your counterargument: I think security considerations warrant
MUST.

> I think secure RNGs really need to be considered a vital component to
analyse.
> They have clearly been considered a vital component to
> attack: and no wonder. Insecure RNGs introduce major unexpected problems,
> including predictable keys and key leakage, in protocols which rely on
secure
> RNGs to satisfy their security requirements. But they can be subtle, and
hard to
> verify.
>
> We should consider how robust protocols may be if those requirements are
not
> met, and generally prefer (as a "safety net") protocols which do not fail
> catastrophically if the RNG is weak, if a practical alternative exists.
But it's
> perfectly reasonable I think to also specify at the same time that the RNG
MUST