Re: [dtn-interest] FW: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-irtf-dtnrg-tcp-clayer-08

<l.wood@surrey.ac.uk> Tue, 25 February 2014 12:42 UTC

From: l.wood@surrey.ac.uk
To: ccaini@arces.unibo.it, vint@google.com
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:42:29 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: dtn-interest@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] FW: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-irtf-dtnrg-tcp-clayer-08

With newReno, only SACK matters now. (Though window scaling is still
a dark art, with little thanks to Windows XP.)

As it happens, I've spent the last couple of years dealing with PEP middlebox TCP
accelerators and caches for satellite links.

When supporting a number of ISPs backhauled via satellite links from the island
populations they themselves support, there are interesting scalability problems
with tracking the number of flows and resulting buffer state held over long
periods of time. It's interesting pushing the state of the art there.

The main difference between these 'transparent' proxies and a more explicit,
visible, hop-by-hop partitioning in the different domain conditions afforded by
bundling (or tuned visible http proxy caching) is that these get -used-.

Endpoints are dumb. Endpoints do dumb things. State at endpoints can't
be trusted. That TCP has congestion control and is trusted to control its
own state is increasingly an anomaly in a world where every link must have
protection against DoS attacks. TCP can't be trusted to do the right thing
through bottlenecks like satellite links.

While state in the network is undesirable, with PEPs, NAT and firewalls
(never mind QoS shaping or BGP) it's necessary - and it's state under the
explicit control of a (hopefully knowledgeable) network operator. The
'impedance mismatch' of capacity, speed and delay between the satellite
and terrestrial networks imposes QoS shaping, acceleration...it's not
something that can be resolved by itself.

In discussing whether the junction between the satellite and ground
network is a proxy, a bundling agent, or something else, we accept
that there must be some sort of stateful control there. We're
only debating what exact form that state takes.

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood