Re: [dtn-interest] Hello from Brazil

"Scott, Keith L." <kscott@mitre.org> Fri, 31 January 2014 18:26 UTC

From: "Scott, Keith L." <kscott@mitre.org>
To: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>, "dtn-interest@irtf.org" <dtn-interest@irtf.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 18:26:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [129.83.31.51]
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] Hello from Brazil

*My* understanding is the SBSP is intended to 'replace' BSP as defined in RFC6257.  I believe the rationale for this is as follows:

1.    RFC6257 (BSP) allows the specification of security endpoints  (essentially encryption and decryption points) as DTN EIDs.  Unfortunately, the interaction between such security endpoints and routing is not well-defined, meaning that unless DTN routers in the middle of the network understand and pay attention to the security blocks and their security EIDs, bundles could be routed 'around' the security destination to the bundle destination, and hence could arrive still encrypted.

a.     This is addressed in SBSP by the adjunct 'bundle-in-bundle encapsulation' (tunneling) mechanism.

2.    BSP allows for complex nesting of security mechanisms (including in particular payload confidentiality and extension security blocks).  Order of application becomes a real issue, and this gets coupled with #1 above to create a big gooey mess.

a.     I think encapsulation is the main mitigator here too, but there may be others?

3.    Interactions between encryption and the endpoint dictionary can get problematic.

4.    BSP contains both the protocols and ciphersuite definitions.  Ciphersuites are apt to need to change / be obsoleted more rapidly than the protocol itself.

a.     I think the plan with SBSP is to break the ciphersuite definitions into a separate document.

Others may be able to elaborate on and/or correct the above.

Best regards,

                        --keith

Dr. Keith Scott                                                                                           Office: +1.703.983.6547
Chief Engineer, E535 J86A                                                                    Fax:      +1.703.983.7142
Communications Netowork Engineering & Analysis                  Email: kscott@mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation<http://www.mitre.org/>                                                                        M/S H300
7515 Colshire Drive
McLean, VA 22102