Re: [dtn-interest] Hello from Brazil

<Tomaso.deCola@dlr.de> Mon, 03 February 2014 09:20 UTC

From: Tomaso.deCola@dlr.de
To: prof.marceloguido@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 09:19:46 +0000
Cc: dtn-interest@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] Hello from Brazil

Marcelo,

Just to expand a bit on Keith's pointer, the erasure codes we developed here at DLR to work underneath LTP are conceived for large latencies and lossy channels (e.g., deep-space optical links), where the use of feedback-based recovery techniques is ineffective.
In any case, I think that  you should clarify what you mean by error correction and the specific technology being assumed (RF or optics). As to the former, actually, physical layer already implements channel coding schemes that already provide almost-error free conditions in some scenarios, whereby erasure codes is really meant to recover the "remaining" losses.

Best Regards,

Tomaso

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Communications and Navigation | Satellite Networks | Oberpfaffenhofen | 82234 Wessling | Germany
Tomaso de Cola, Ph.D.
Telefon +49 8153 28-2156 | Telefax  +49 8153 28-2844 | tomaso.decola@dlr.de<mailto:sandro.scalise@dlr.de>
http://www.dlr.de/kn/institut/abteilungen/san