Re: [dtn-interest] FW: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-irtf-dtnrg-tcp-clayer-08

Caini Carlo <ccaini@arces.unibo.it> Tue, 25 February 2014 10:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:30:06 +0100
To: Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, "l.wood@surrey.ac.uk" <l.wood@surrey.ac.uk>
From: Caini Carlo <ccaini@arces.unibo.it>
Cc: dtn-interest <dtn-interest@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] FW: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-irtf-dtnrg-tcp-clayer-08

Dear Vint and Lloyd,
     In my opinion, the possibility of using TCP
as convergence layer in a Bundle Protocol DTN
architecture has many advantages that go beyond
the mere compatibility with Internet and that can
be achieved (in some selected but important
cases) despite the challenges of the links.
To cite an example I have personally
investigated, consider GEO satellite
communications. In these the main challenge is
the RTT of about 600 ms mainly due to the
propagation time on the satellite link. With such
a large RTT, TCP New Reno cannot provide
satisfactory performance, especially in the
presence of concurrent terrestrial TCP traffic
(i.e. with short RTTs). The usual solutions are
TCP splitting PEPs that divide the end-to-end
paths into three legs: 1) from source to the
first PEP, 2) between the two PEPs, 3) from PEP
to destination. TCP splitting PEPs provide good
performance but violate the end-to-end semantic
of TCP and are ineffective with IPsec.
By contrast, the BP DTN architecture allows to
"naturally" split the end-to-end connection into
3 DTN hops (the same as before), which
automatically solves the problem of RTT
unfairness between satellite and terrestrial
connection; you can use TCP and the first and the
last, as they have no challenges at all; you can
use whatever convergence layer you want in the
intermediate connection (the satellite one),
included TCP variants specialized for satellite.
Note that on a link with less than 600ms and
without (or with just minor disruption) these
specialized variants of TCP work well (i.e. you
do not need LTP). In short, in GEO communications
you can have TCP, by choice, on all the DTN hops,
with excellent performance. The price to pay with
respect to PEPs is the lack of transparency,
because you you need to install and use DTN on
the end points. It may be worthwhile.

Yours,
    Carlo