Re: [dtn-interest] FW: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-irtf-dtnrg-tcp-clayer-08

"Burleigh, Scott C (312G)" <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov> Tue, 25 February 2014 16:10 UTC

From: "Burleigh, Scott C (312G)" <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov>, Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, "l.wood@surrey.ac.uk" <l.wood@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:10:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [128.149.137.26]
Cc: dtn-interest <dtn-interest@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] FW: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-irtf-dtnrg-tcp-clayer-08

DTN has been in (limited) operational use on the International Space Station since 2009, conveying data from on-board biology experiments to a lab at the University of Colorado, Boulder.  DTN will become part of the operational infrastructure of ISS, available for use by all payload systems, sometime in 2015 when ISS change request 013799 is completed.

Will, you are correct that the tests of DTN over laser comm were among DTN nodes residing in machines on the ground: each bundle was sent from one bundle protocol agent via the laser link to the satellite and echoed (at link layer) back down to another BPA on Earth.  The bundles traversed cislunar distance, but there was no bundle protocol agent on the satellite.

Scott