Re: [dtn-interest] Interested in DTN, and some questions

"Burleigh, Scott C (312B)" <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov> Sun, 26 June 2016 21:34 UTC

From: "Burleigh, Scott C (312B)" <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: "Walter L. Preuninger II" <walter.preuninger@gmail.com>, "dtn-interest@irtf.org" <dtn-interest@irtf.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:34:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [128.149.137.81]
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] Interested in DTN, and some questions

Hi, Walter.  The answer is that these communication opportunities are determined in advance by the mission operations team and are encoded into commands that are sent to the spacecraft.  Beginning transmission to the spacecraft at a time when it is still occulted by the planet, expecting it to be in view and listening by the time the signal arrives, is the most efficient use of the channel.  Link noise is typically high at the start and end of a contact, though, so absent a strong ARQ system it may make sense to delay a bit.  DTN for space flight operations includes LTP, which does provide that strong ARQ system and therefore enables somewhat improved link utilization, but there is no DTN on MRO.

Scott